Sunday, June 14, 2015

My mom's new iphone


It's 3AM and I am wide awake.  The 3 year old is laying next to me.  He is burning up.  I have given him some tylenol, a drink of water, and some extra cuddles.  I am wide awake and a million thoughts are going through my head.  It's the life of a mom.

Earlier today I was with my own mom.  She came with pizza, a knitting project and a new iphone.  I joked that hell had frozen over as I took a selfie with her and showed her how to post it to her facebook page, adding a little emoji and tagging me in the photo.  My mom... who is still learning to turn on the VCR now has an iphone.  She has always been about ten years behind the technology.  I remember that my house growing up was the only house that had an 8 track player when every other house had a record player.  We still had a corded phone when everyone else's phone was cordless - talk about trying to have a private conversation when you are stuck to a wall!  I love my mom dearly - God bless her - she is always behind the times... except when it comes to health.
 
 

For over 40 years my mom was a registered nurse, taking care of others.  When it came to her own health, she was diligent, which is why her breast cancer was detected so early... because of modern technology like mammograms and sonograms.  Isn't it ironic that the technology that my mother takes so long to embrace is the same technology that has saved her life?  Not all of the other mothers in the world are so lucky.  Not all the daughters in the world are writing about their moms in present tense. 

In honor of my mom, I have made a pledge to walk 2 days, and to raise $1800 for breast cancer research.  I can't do that alone, and I ask you for your support.  All it takes is the click of a button on your iphone. 

To Donate: http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR/Walk/NewYork?px=1324249&pg=personal&fr_id=2406

No comments:

Post a Comment