Thursday, October 18, 2012

Penny's From Heaven

Here's another oldie, but goody.  I wrote this back in 2006 when I was training for the NY Avon Walk.  October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and so I share this with you!




Every three minutes, another woman in the United States is diagnosed with breast cancer. When my mother's three minutes came, it shook my world upside-down. It was just months before my wedding, and just weeks before my nephew, her first grandchild, was due to make his entrance into the world. It seemed so unfair. She had so many things to look forward to, but I later realized that it was just those things that made the battle worth fighting.

Mom was lucky.

After her three minutes, it only took me three minutes to decide I needed to do something. Back in 2004 I raised $3600 and walked 26 miles to fight breast cancer. Now, two years later, I'm doing the same thing, only this time I'm joined by Mom.

Back in January, our family lost a dear friend, Penny, and my two aunts, Ellen and Ida, felt hopeless and lost. Joining forces with us, we created a team of six, pulling in our friends Iris and Lucille. We call our team, "Penny's from Heaven" in tribute to our friend Penny who lost the battle to breast cancer.

I've been diligently training and fundraising, as well as preparing to camp out for the big weekend, which is only 7 days away. This will be the last email I send to you until after the walk. I wanted to thank all of you that have supported me financially as well as emotionally through both my mother's ordeal, as well as my training. With your help, my team has raised over $18,000. We've reached our team goal, although I'm still a few hundred dollars away from making my personal goal of $3600. It's not too late to donate -hint, hint!

With only one weekend left to train, I posted a message to all Suffolk County walkers to please join me at 9AM this morning at the 7-11 on the corner for a training walk. I woke up bright and early, put on my Avon t-shirt and my new stretchy walking pants, my blister-free socks and my ninety-dollar sneakers. And I waited. And I waited some more. And at 9:15 I made a decision to walk alone. Feeling lonely with my motivation dwindling, I went about 4 miles and found myself in Port Jefferson village. I went into McDonalds to use the restroom and was lured in by their offer for free coffee. Sitting by myself, sipping my coffee and pondering going on with my walk, and just thinking about the walk in general, I took notice of a young mother having breakfast with her little girl. They weren't doing anything out of the ordinary and they weren't being loud, but I took notice of them. And seeing them, and thinking about my mother, I watched them, and with tears rolling down my face, trying not to cause a scene, I silently thanked God for my mother's presence, and wondered why my mom made it and how come Penny didn't? Why did my mom dance at my wedding and why won't Penny dance at her sons'? Why is my family so lucky?

It was as if someone from above was reminding me why I'm doing this. Yes, it's exciting. Yes, it will be fun. But maybe this money we raise will someday make a difference, because since you began reading this email, another three minutes has passed, and another woman was diagnosed with breast cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment