Friday, June 1, 2012

Make War, Not Love: Breastfeeding in Uniform

The war against breastfeeding continues:

Don't breastfeed in public.
Okay, you can breastfeed in public, just don't breastfeed your toddler.
And today's hot topic in breastfeeding: Don't breastfeed in a military uniform.

Today's topic was inspired by this picture:


This picture has been roaming around the Internet.  I saw it on facebook (because that is where I get all my news from these days) and it instantly caught my eye.  When I see this picture, my first thought is "God Bless America!"  Here we have two moms who proudly serve our country, smiling lovingly at their babies and giving them the best nourishment that one can give.

My aggravation with today's current debate is not about breastfeeding in public - it's about your baby's right to eat in public.  Just as you have a right to eat a cheeseburger, an apple or an eggroll in public, a baby has a right to eat in public too.  If you want to breastfeed in public, I support you.  If you want to give your baby formula in public, go for it.  If you want to give your baby diet coke in public, why not?  I give my baby breastmilk, formula...heck - last week he was crying so much I gave him a shot of tequila (mixed in kool aid of course!)

Why is this picture stirring up such passionate controversy?  According to an article on Yahoo, the military thinks it is disrespectful to nurse while wearing your uniform.  To me it is a complete contradiction.  We encourage our soldiers to be emotionally, mentally and physically strong, yet giving your baby the best possible food to make him big and strong is frowned upon when in uniform.

This argument that nursing in uniform is a disgrace to our country is well...disgraceful.  Just because a woman is in uniform does not mean that she does not take her job seriously...it means that she takes her profession as a military officer very seriously, and well as her position as a mother.  Nurse in a uniform.  Nurse in pajamas.  Nurse in a toga for all I care.

Today the military came back to state that their issue is not with the act of breastfeeding itself, but with the women who posed for the photos.  According to the  National Guard, it's a violation of regulations to use the uniform to promote a cause.  


So when in uniform, we can support war, but not breastfeeding?  Shame on your, military! I do not support this ideology!

No comments:

Post a Comment