Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A letter to my son's preschool teachers

Dear Preschool Teachers,


You know that preschool is my specialty.
You know that I am a teacher myself.
You know that I have experienced preschool in several schools in several different capacities.
You also know that this is my first time experiencing preschool as a Mommy.


You know my child well.  You know all the kids well, as any teacher should.  You know my child is funny, creative, talented and energetic.  You also know that he is difficult, stubborn and loud...but instead of trying to change him, you embraced him, and for that I am eternally grateful.


You know that my kid marches to the beat of his own drum...but instead of making him feel like he is different, you gave him a baton and let him lead the parade.


You know that my kid loves to tell stories...but instead of telling him to quiet down, you handed him the mike and let him work the crowd.


You know my kid has tactile sensitivity...but instead of forcing him to paint his feet, you let his friend step in and taught him a lesson about teamwork.


You know my kid has a hard time with other kids...but instead of letting him play alone, you took him by the hand and showed him the way.


You know my kid so well.


Did you know that at the Thanksgiving table, when asked what he was thankful for. he replied, "My teachers!"


Did you know that he beams with pride when he waters the bean that he planted in the cup?  Just like his confidence and love of learning, it blooms more each day.


Did you know that when he learns something new in school, we are at the library later that day taking out every book on that subject?  


Did you know that I will miss our chats?  You never rushed me when I needed to talk or vent about his progress.  You want him to be as successful as I want him to be.


Did you know that I haven't told him that school is ending?  I can't bear to see his tears and I am not ready to accept it myself.


Did you know that you will be missed dearly?  And while I don't want my boys to grow up too fast, I look forward to three years from now, when my teeny tiny baby goes off to his first day of preschool.  I'll turn to him and say, "Do you know how lucky you are?"  





4 comments:

  1. Love it Heather! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Heather. I sure hope that you send this letter to her/them. She sounds amazing!! It is so beautifully written, right from the heart, and if I would receive such a letter, I would treasure it forever. From the sound of it, so will she.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly will treasure it forever. It is the most beautiful thing anyone has ever written to me. It meant the world to me. Both you & G are very special & I'm so glad I got to know you both. Not that I want to rush his life, but I look forward to having M in three years!! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you got a great teacher there for the boys! That is great! What is next fall for G? Advanced Preschool? Do they offer a 2nd year? When will he start Kindergarten? I remember those days so long ago it seems!

    ReplyDelete